
As an educator, what are your present strengths and weaknesses in technology? How do you plan to use your strengths? How do you plan to address the weaknesses?
After pondering these three simple questions for almost two weeks I am still unsure of my answer. If I had to rate myself on a scale from zero to ten, zero being not sure how to use a remote control for a television and ten writing programs, I think I would fall between six and seven.
I feel that my strengths are knowledge of most popular programs; i.e. word, power point. I am also able to navigate the internet with ease, as well as, navigating particular web sites. I am aware of the popular social networking sites, such as; myspace, facebook, and twitter. I can purchase music from iTunes, work an iPhone (for the most part), Skype with my family that lives in another part of the country, and sometimes I can even give directions/problem shoot a technological problem that someone less knowledgeable than myself may be having. Although, I think an even bigger strength than understanding all that is technology, is the knowledge of where to go and who to ask when I am unsure of anything technological.
There are too many areas where I am unsure. I feel that is a weakness. With the constant changes in technology I find it hard as an educator to keep up with the latest technological advances. I say this because weather you are a classroom teacher or you have started working in the library your time needs to be budgeted in such a way that one can tend to all responsibilities. I find that knowledge of a new technology may take me some time to make myself familiar with it, therefore not utilizing the latest technology at its prime.
One of the ways in which I will utilize my strengths is by simply passing on the knowledge I have to others, be it students or staff. I’ve noticed when others have been introduced to a new technology they spend time exploring, and usually end up learning more and passing it on to others. Another strength I will utilize seeking out my technological superiors and inquiring as much as I possibly can about whatever latest technology is out there.
My plan for addressing my weaknesses goes hand in hand with utilizing my strengths. I will find out who I need to contact for help, as well as for furthering my technological education. I will continue to go to technological workshops and learn as much as I can, and the most effective ways to make the most of what I have learned. In addition to the above, I will continue to self educate myself in technology my exploring and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment